Thursday, August 16, 2007

Crocodile River Picnic

While driving over the Harties bridge I glanced over my shoulder at the breathtaking drop down to the river and spotted a waterfall flowing down the side of a mountain.

Is there any way to get down there I asked? Sure, said Louis, “Wanna go?”

That had to have been a rhetorical question cos he definitely knows me better than that. I would never turn down an adventure. We took the next left at the stop street and then a right to a boom gate that was barely visible from the road. A man sat on a chair dozing away under a tree and when seeing us rose and walked towards us. We paid the fee and glanced at the notice board which read Crocodile River.
”Are there any crocodiles in the river?” “I don’t think so,” came the amused reply.

"There were even little concrete tables conveniently situated close to each spot."

As we drove down the bumpy road to the river we noticed little picnic and braai spots nestled between the trees. There were even little concrete tables conveniently situated close to each spot. I really like the idea of also being able to park your car right by your spot. “They really did think of everything”

We kept driving on to where the road came to an end and parked the car. After getting out, unpacking the camera and tripod we locked up and set off on the trail to the waterfall. There was a huge sign right next to the beginning of the trail and the in red were the letters GEVAAR. I knew it read danger but nobody else seemed to care so I decided to go along anyway.

The trail was not an easy one. It was formed by curious hikers on a slope between the mountain and the edge of the river making it slippery with tree branches blocking the way and lose rocks in the path. In some places seepage down the mountain had formed puddles meaning you had to tread carefully to keep from sinking ankle deep in sludge. Eventually we got to a rocky section that signaled the end of the path and after climbing over a giant rock we came to the waterfall. It was gushing that day causing a mist to form around it but then the falling water quickly slowed into a flow that quieted into a large pond. From there the river flowed on merrily.

"My mind then flashed back to the ‘Gevaar’ sign at the beginning of the trail and suddenly I didn’t feel so safe anymore."

I looked at Louis who had his camera pointed above my head and when I looked up I saw the bridge that we had just been on and the large wall that held it up. There was a smooth rock surface that extended from the wall to the pond close to where I was standing. In my mind I saw what would happen if the floodgates were opened and the water from the Hartebeestpoort dam was let lose. My mind then flashed back to the ‘Gevaar’ sign at the beginning of the trail and suddenly I didn’t feel so safe anymore.

Louis finished taking his photo’s and soon we were back on the trail to the picnic site, me in the lead this time and moving quite quickly. “Hey, Miss Nimble, could you take my tripod?” I heard behind me. I looked back to see Louis struggling to get over a large tree branch that was growing over the path. Sometimes in life (and they are rare instances) being as small as I am is an advantage. Quite proud of myself and my new nickname I went back and helped him with his tripod. Back at the beginning of the trail I took a minute to read what danger the sign board was warning us off and it basically read .

“Danger, Water levels are prone to rise quickly due to water being released through the floodgates.”

Boy was I glad to be out of there but with no regret to having had the adventure.

We were quite tired when we got back to the car and after a drink of juice we were on our way again, insistent that we would be back again for a longer visit and even a braai so that we could discover and enjoy more of what the Crocodile River had to offer.

 

How to get there:

Travel over the bridge at Hartebeestpoortdam towards the Cultural Village. At the big intersection, turn right. Go over the Crocodile River. The entrance is immediately on your right.

Tariffs:

Free

Words by Kathy Beetge
Photos by Louis Beetge

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I was interested to read your comments about the picnic site on the crocodile river. We have driven past it many times, but never been there until last weekend (12th). This time we went in and found it a really pleasant plce for a picnic / braai. No frills and very basic facilities, but at R40 for a family of four it was good value.

Just sitting on the riverbank for a few hours is amazingly refreshing. It's a pity so much of the harties area is being handed over to developers who only cater to the rich.

I have yet to find a spot on the dam itself for day visitors that charges reasonable entrance rates.

I do a lot of day trails in & around the JHB area, mostly on Saturdays. In my opinion the best are Kloofendal on the west rand & Bloubosspruit (Klipriviersberg) in the south, was there yesterday & saw an amazing amount of game.

I'm looking to chat to people with similar interests with a view to swapping notes or even possibly hiking together. It can be a lonely business to hike alone or in a very small group, not to mention unsafe.

Louis said...

Hi Scribler

Thank you for your comments.

I am in complete agreement with you regarding the Hartebeestpoort dam area. It seems like the whole place is just geared towards overseas tourism, completely forgetting about the country's own citizens. It really irritates me that you can't get to the water without having to take out a second mortgage on your home. :)

Our little hiking adventures usually take place on a Friday or Saturday. It would be nice, like you said, to travel with someone else for company as well as safety reasons. One place that immediately springs to mind is The Wilds. From what I can gather, it is really beautiful but unsafe for one or two people to travel. Maybe if we can get together a group of about ten people willing to do the trip, it might be worthwhile.

Just beware, I travel really slowly because most of my time is taken up with photographing the place. My wife gets really irritated with me.
;)

We'll stay in touch.

Marci D. said...

I really enjoy checking your site for places to visit around JNB. I am living here temporarily and I am looking for places like this to visit and utilize my camera and capture memories.

I am planning a trip to Croc. River this weekend, but not sure of your directions. Can you possibly provide me with more details. Remember new to area.

mdepersig@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Crockodile River sounds like a nice place to relax and have a braai. I just want to know if there is a fishing spot. It would be really great if there is.

Louis said...

Anonymous: Not sure about the fishing. Can't really remember ever seeing anyone fishing there.