Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Nkwe Caravan Park

 

Peace and tranquility is the first thing that we noticed about Nkwe. That was until we were almost overrun by the bulls!

The real kind that is. Not the kind that you watch running with an oval shaped ball every Saturday.

Seriously though, this place is very peaceful. As we drove onto the premises, what struck me was the amount of trees. Even though it was dry, the park was still pretty in a stark winter sort of way.

Besides us, there was one other person there that day. A bird watcher who had been to Nkwe 18 years before and came back to reminisce and see how things had changed.

"You wonder how deep it is and how many people have disappeared forever in it's depths."

Walking down to the water hole is the first thing that you will want to do. Trust me. It's like a magnet. You almost can't help yourself. You wonder how deep it is and how many people have disappeared forever in it depths. Typical urban legend stuff.

Then you think back to your child hood and imagine how good it would have been to be able to play cowboys and indians in this place. If your kids still play those games (and I don't mean on the playstation), they will love this place.

The rock pool was empty that day, but usually people of all ages can be found splashing around and jumping into the pool from the surrounding rocks.

Why is that? Why do people feel this irresistable need to jump from high places? Adrenaline, testosterone or stupidity? Maybe all of the above.

Although the weather didn't permit swimming, climbing the rocks kept me busy for a while.

Yes I know I am easily amused.

Having conquered the mountain, I decided that it was time to explore, so I chucked my camera bag over my shoulder, waved my dad farewell and set of on the treacherous journey to chart this territory for my avid readers.

This place really was very pretty. Maybe it was the quiet, or maybe it was the wind blowing though whatever leaves were left on the trees, but I was very content with life at that moment.

"... I see a huge dog running towards me. It had horns! "

 

My daydreaming was interrupted by a yell from my dad: 'Watch out for him!'

As I look up from my camera viewfinder, I see a huge dog running towards me. It had horns!

Horns I tell you!

Great, all we needed then was for fire to come out its nose and no-one would ever believe me again.

The bull changed direction and headed for the water with the rest of its evil brethren following. The little old lady that walked behind them, yelling and gesturing with a stick, did nothing for my shattered ego.

Feeling that my career as an avid explorer and tamer of new lands was rapidly coming to an end, I headed back towards where my dad sat. 

As I walked through the trees I thought about how pretty this place would be in spring when everything started to bloom again. Definitely a place I would like to come back to. If not to explore, then just to have a braai with friends on the banks of the Pienaars River and to lie on my back under the trees and listen to the wind blowing through the leaves.

 

How to get there:

On the N1 travelling north, take the Lynwood Drive offramp. Turn right at the robots. Keep travelling until you go over Hans Strydom Drive. From Hans Strydom Drive, travel approx. 13.6km. The entrance to Nkwe will be on the right hand side of the road.

Tariffs:

R20 per person for day visitors.

For more information visit:
http://www.nkwepark.co.za/

Words and Pictures by Louis Beetge

No comments: