Sunday, July 22, 2007

Struben Dam Bird Sanctuary

'This week we had a guest on our weekly travel adventure, so I decided to let her do the talking. Methinks she spins a pretty good yarn...'

After spending the last couple of weeks hearing rave reviews about the interesting places that they had discovered and looking enviously at the beautiful photographs they had taken I decided that I was not gonna let another day's Adventure pass without me.

So I tagged along, much to the amusement of my traveling companions.

'...how peaceful could it be with all that traffic and chaos in that part of town?

We had heard from a friend of a friend that there was a pretty little dam about a kilometer from Menlyn Shopping Centre. I know what you're thinking, I've been there countless times and have never heard of it. And besides, how peaceful could it be with all that traffic and chaos in that part of town.

I was very pleasantly surprised. We stopped at a corner cafe for some refreshment and I quickly picked up a magazine. My photographer of a husband can tend to linger at a good spot and I didn't want to be bored, so I decided to get myself something to keep me entertained.

  We found Struben Dam quite easily and parking wasn't a mission at all. After unpacking camera's and tripods and other crucial equipment (so I was informed), we walked into the gates. We were greeted by a security guard, making us feel quite safe and after signing a register I walked to a shady spot under some blue gum trees.

The place was well kept and extremely serene. With the sound of a slow breeze through the leaves and birds chirping not a car could be heard despite the traffic we encountered on our way there.

'...perhaps it was the surroundings that gave them that extra bit of romance this day.'

The parks visitors on that Friday consisted of a woman and her two dogs that were taking her for a run and two young couples that looked very much in love. Or perhaps it was the surroundings that gave them that extra bit of romance this day. One couple sat on a blanket under a beautiful weeping willow, just enjoying each other's company. Another walked hand in hand and then took a seat on one of the many park benches strategically placed close to the waters edge.

  I sat down under a tree and started to page through my magazine and found that soon I was visited by two ducks that were waddling past. A quick flash of light in my direction made me realize that I was being photographed and later found that the reason for this was that my position made for a fairytale picture.

'...an excellent spot for a picnic with a loved one...'

All in all it turned out to be a fantastic morning out and definitely an excellent spot for a picnic with a loved one, a family outing, a walk with the dog or even just a quiet stroll.

A little research done and I also found out that Struben Dam is part of the Morelleta Hiking Trail that starts at Faerie Glen Nature reserve and meanders through Pretoria on 11km of hiking trail. Needless to say Struben Dam is definitely worth a visit.

How to get there:

Off the N1, turn towards Menlyn Shopping Centre into Atterbury. Left into Lois, Right into Ingersol, Left into Impy, Right into Ilkey. Left into Innes Street. You will see the Sanctuary and parking on your right.

Tariffs:

Free

For more information visit:
http://www.tshwane.gov.za/strubendam.cfm
or
Call: +27 12 348 1265/6

Words by Kathy Beetge
Pictures by Louis Beetge

No comments: